Webinar 2 aired Thursday Nov 14th. For 1-6 in the Small Business Local Web Marketing
Starts at 4:30
Foundational local ranking factors addressed
9. City, State in Places Landing Page Title
13. Product / Service Keyword in Business Title
18. City, State in Most/All Website Title Tags
22. NAP in hCard / Schema.org
24. Product / Service Keyword in Website URL
26. Location Keyword in Business Title
28. City, State in Places Landing Page H1/H2 Tags
Pre-webinar home work – 1 hour
- Page speed test your site
- For words that matter to you run your own rank tracking and record your positioning
- Sign up for a free 30 day trial to Moz tools
Below are helpful explanations and links to resources mentioned during the webinar.
When it comes to making a killer website (performing website) I find most people are only good at at-least 1 thing online but it takes 3: builds trust, motivates to action, and ranks well in search engines. And without all three you’ll be out of luck.
Most common mistakes
- Pretty website that never gets any visitors
- An ugly and poor converting website ranks
- Offline you are a supper star but online you hid all your stars
WordPress is the best open source blogging and website platform for small businesses. Learn how to get fast and WordPress friendly hosting as well as a website that is easy to edit yourself ongoing.
Domain Name and Server Hosting
When getting WordPress hosting don’t pay for anything more than the domain and hosting especially not domain privacy or directory submissions. If you are looking for hosting here is my number 1 and 2 choices but most hosting companies offer a quick wordpress setup.
- Premium WordPress hosting WP Engine After ordering here is he how to install wordpress setup. There are so many reasons you’ll be glad you paid a little more for web hosting not the least of which is your page loading so much faster.
- Cheap WordPress hosting Host Gator Hatching After ordering here is the how to install wordpress video. You get what you pay for but at least pages don’t usually take more then 5 seconds to load on these servers. And they have good customers service.
After hosting you’ll want a nice theme. Here are my top 4 choices for responsive websites or in other words websites that behave awesome even on different mobile devices.
Website Load Time
If you have a slower page load time then 3 seconds try speeding your site. Better hosting, better web programming and this wordpress plugin are all ways to make your site really fast.
- WordPress plugin w3 Total Cache If you go with EP Engine or Host Gator and use their WordPress auto setup they pre-configure this plugin with the install.
Trust comes in many forms, first is a great design with calls to action. Next is credibility in the form of words, symbols and images.
Best ways to instill trust on your website:
- Visible #
- Contact form
- Pictures of location/staff
- Licence numbers
- Charity partner
- Featured in
- Loved by
Plugins that help
There are a lot of plugins out there which will do anything you want. Here are 2 that have helped me get more trust on my website:
Think outside the box
In the immortal words of my friend Mike Ramsey, “Make it sexy”. What will it take to get your site to the next level? Would it be hand written testimonials on your site. Or maybe an interactive map of where you have received testimonials. To each industry his own. But you know your job will not be totally done unless your customers start complementing you on your website.
A website that shows up high in search results pleases both people and search engine robots. And your website is the 1 thing you have full control over when trying to rank well.
Keywords + Locality
In webinar 1 we use Google’s Ad Planner to mine all the words people are searching online that we want to get business from. We call them keywords and keyword phrases. However when your business is local most of those findings are missing the last ingredient of success, where the service will be offered.
If I’m a plumber and the word plumber is searched on average 500k a month across the entire internet I don’t want but the nearby searches. And the best way to do that is pair the keyword plumber with the metro I am targeting, say Boise.
Would then be the new keyword phrase to be used.
Most common mistakes businesses make
- Not pairing their keywords with locality
- Thinking people actually search by: zip codes, nick names, counties, state, and broad terms. It’s fine to mention them sometimes but it’s not what you need to target.
- Going to broad
The fact is Ad planner will tell you what most people are searching most, and that typically is the nearest biggest city/metro name. So if you are 10 miles out from Atlanta then you would still use Atlanta for the majority of your optimization because that is how the people are searching. Feel free to test this for yourself but trust me I have and it stinks waiting for traffic that will never come unless you change your targeting.
What web pages you’ll need
- Home page
- Service pages
- Location pages
- If applicable (contact us, testimonials, gallery, etc…)
Small local websites typically don’t need many pages. Average is about 10. The number 1 place small business fail is having 1 page for all their services. Instead you can have that page if you want but picking the top 5+ and making it it’s own page will give you way more bang for your buck. 2nd’s best place is to have a page for every physical location you have. If you don’t have an address in a location you want to do business in, don’t fret, you might just be fine writing a separate page about that. Think Portland (OR) is the main metro but Hillsboro, Lake Oswego, Tigard, Vancouver (WA), West Linn, Sherwood, etc… would be great to have separate pages for. Any maybe a whole other website some day.
Here is an example of each location has a different page when you click on it: lamettrys.com
Here is an example of main pages targeting a metro and the location pages in the footer: garagesolutionsatlanta.com
How to onsite SEO/PPC optimize
Here’s what I might target if I where a plumber in Boise:
Home page (Plumber Boise)
Service page (24 hour plumber Boise)
Location page (Plumber Napa)
Contact us (Business name Boise)
Testimonials (Business name reviews Boise)
Gallery (Plumbing ideas)
Now that you understand what pages you need and what words you’ll want to target on those pages we are ready for onsite SEO. You can go page by page and manually check everything, however I love the Moz Page Grader Tool a million times better. For 1 if their are technical issues on your website like bad coding they can tell you what they are an where to start to fix it. But basically if you wanted to do it yourself here is a check list you should do for every page.
Keyword is in:
- Title tag
- Title on page
- 3-4 times in the text of the page (at least 1 exact match, variations and conjoining words like “in” are okay)
- If photos, videos or other media they are named or tagged with the keyword
And you have a description on the page.
No one has shown a better infographic or video on onsite optimization for local small business then Small Business Online Coach. Check it out if you feel you need more to grasp getting the right words all in the right places.
Technical stuff you should use
There are a few ways to tip off search engines key information about your business. Schema.org and Hcard are 2 great ways to do that. Here is a generator for each. Data on your site in this formate will be more authoritative and clear.
Things you can put this type of code around
- Core business details like (name, #, address, website, hours, etc…)
- Event details
If you would like to use more then just schema I recommend markup your footer contact information in schema and your contact us page in hcard.
Most importantly Google provides a tester to see if you or your programmer got it right.
This would only help a programmer but for a whole list of options here you go: Schema.org
Post-webinar home work – 4+ hours
- Website hosting and wordpress setup – 1 hour
- Write service pages if applicable – ?
- Write a few location pages if applicable – ?
- Add any trust elements if applicable – ?
- Optimize all your pages – 2.5 hours
- Get your info in Schema & Hcard – 30 minutes
- Post any questions you have below (optional)
- Share this page on your favorite social media sites or email your friends (optional)
To access to all webinars in this series 1-6 Small Business Local Web Marketing Webinar Series by Jason Weaver